Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Technicolor Dinosaurs











During the summer, my Children's Book Art campers did a project based on the book,"How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?" by Jane Yolen and Mark Teague. They turned out so well, I thought I'd try it again with some of my students. I adapted a direct line drawing lesson from the cover T-Rex, complete with blankie. After going over their giant pencil dinosaurs in permanent marker, they used watercolor to give it some personality. Some children used colored Sharpies for smaller details. While still wet, they sprinkled salt on their work which gave the dinosaur skin a bumpy reptile effect. (You know they loved this part!)
Once dry, the dinos were cut out and glued to black posterboard. The final step was to add some stars and a moon.
This was a favorite project for many of my students(Kindergarten thru 5th).

1 comment:

  1. These are lovely - I think Dylan would enjoy doing something like this. I've seen How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight at the Library. Making a note to myself to borrow this one!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!