Friday, December 3, 2010

Van Gogh Meets The Masai



















I wish I could take credit for the idea for this project. But that would go to the art teacher at J. B. Watkins Elementary in Midlothian, Virginia. I saw the fantastic pieces on Artsonia one day while I was "wandering" around. I instantly loved their energy, brightness and texture.



To create these inspired pieces in my K-3rd class we first talked about Van Gogh's use of strong textured brushstrokes. I told them I didn't want any pre-mixing and to use brushstrokes to capture the feeling of movement. I also challenged them to create 2 different strokes for the sky and grass. The colorful clothing of the Masai people of Kenya were created using leftover textured paper. The shapes were very simple as we were creating abstract people. Finally they added simple features to capture different movements of their people.

4 comments:

  1. These are so joyful. Makes one feel like singing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome. Glad you found me so I can follow you - need art projects for January so I will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are just beautiful! They've really captured the color and beauty of africa.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!