Thursday, February 18, 2016

Surreal Hot Air Balloon Collages II





Fiona, your stormy sky is spectacular!











I don't get the chance to travel much. But that doesn't mean I don't love seeing, hearing and reading about exotic locales. Anthony Bourdaine, The Travel Channel, The Amazing Race, and travel memoir books - you might say I'm an official arm chair traveler. So I thought it would be fun to create some surreal hot air balloon collages with my classes this month, allowing each child to choose their own locale. My original post can be found here. I found some great landscape and global landmark calendars from the .99 Cent Store. So the first step was letting each child choose their destination from my collected calendar pages (these were cut out). From there, they created wet on wet watercolor sky backdrops using their choice of colors. On white construction paper, we created one large hot air balloon following a basic step by step lesson. These could be customized and designed using markers or oil pastels. Smaller balloons were created using painted paper and scrapbook paper to give the collage pieces a sense of depth and perspective. This was a fun project for my kindergarten through 5th grade groups.
This lesson was inspired by and dedicated to my dear friend Gretchen, who traveled the world and lived life to the fullest!

11 comments:

  1. I love these balloon pictures, Do you have any advice for the drawing of the balloons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicky! I used a modified version of a great step-by-step I found over at The Lost Sock blog. Here's the link:
      http://tabithaannthelostsock.blogspot.de/2014/11/hot-air-balloon-unit.html?m=1
      Tracing a circle (I had some plates) was extremely helpful.
      Hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. I don't know how I missed this post! Love this project! We have a large local hot air balloon festival every year here, with hundreds of balloons from all over the country. It's a spectacular thing to see. These balloons in your students' artwork look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hundreds of balloons with your beautiful backdrop must be Spectacular! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Nice hot air balloon festival idea, looks fun and colorful. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary, your blog is BEAUTIFUL with so many wonderful project ideas! May I copy and paste these to use these with my students for distance learning and if so, how do I credit you and/or do you want me to pay you? Thank you for creating such wonderful content! I am now following you on Instagram. I'm Anne Luria on Instagram (My maiden name).
    All the VERY best, Anne Luria Burg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can Anne! These lessons are for sharing. Feel free to say it came from my blog. Thank you! :)

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!